






Best Ride so far: At sunset, pink orange purple sky is the back ground to a soundtrack of Bob Marley BLASTED over the bus speakers. People on the street look envious as the bus cruises by them belting out Three Little Birdies. The wind is gentle I have a seat in the first row, I look out the window and catch glimpses of bats cruising the dimming sky.
Public Buses - the fact that in many cases the drivers do not actually stop the bus to pick people up...they just slow it down to a crawl...crazy!!! What about the elderly?...what about me? they need to actually stop !!! me, yep I actually have demanded they stop...with a smile of course, anyway, now in sue-happy USA these bus manufacturers would be sued the moment they were off the assembly line...I mean the one lane down the narrow bus is as wide as my food is long...about 9 to 10 inches and the dilapidated metal seats that can fit three booties (with some chub hanging over the side) make contact with folks rather intimate. But many seats are cushioned...some with plastic but that is in the mini vans mostly(similiar to a South African minibus but different...not as crowded as in Cape Town.) Now the buses I am mainly talking about in Fiji are big buses, they kinda look like old decrepit school buses from the 50s but they are white and green and purple mostly. The music on these buses is great!!! lots of reggae, some rock and occasionally Bollywood hit soundtracks....maybe country thrown in and of course Hip Hop....I am amazed people don't jump up and groove...seriously these buses are happening, more happening than any of the shady clubs I have been to. Anyway when the bus is full which it usually is, people just stand in narrow spaces where bodies are not meant to be, and when there is not standing room people actually hang out the door, there is only one door at the front...yep so when one person at the back needs to get off everyone has to get out...crazy:) . The bus is usually open air meaning there are no windows just curtain type things that are rolled up unless it is raining. And when it rains, it rains...sheets of it that explain the INSANE sized pot holes. (Ana my little friend from the orphanage took many of these photos.)
No comments:
Post a Comment