Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fiji's Top 10s: Taxi Drivers




Taxi Drivers – I will miss them :)(even the airport ones that are rip off artists) The airport lame ass that used up all kinds of gas driving all over Fiji thinking I would actually pay him extra money…funny Sh@* now what would make him think that I would fork over more loot is beyond me, but I guess plenty of people have in the past. The honest ones are really sweet and are great conversationalists too. Much better at demonstrating common courtesy than most bartenders in Seattle. They would all say Hi to me when they would see me in town…A couple invited me home to meet their parents, but I declined. And I appreciate Sam, the driver that noticed my barefeet (I broke a flipflop and walked around for hours looking for a place to buy new flipflops) Sam told me where to go…though many Fijians walk around barefoot, he quickly recognized the fact that I am a "fake Fijian" :) and I was in pain and needed footware:) I deeply appreciate their navigating skills around the pot holes that are the size of some pacific atolls. Oh and that one crazy driver that I still am not sure was a taxi….it is hard to tell, scary but true, Anyway he drove me around and did not ask for money…which sent up all kinds of red flags….even bigger flags went up when he seemed really eager to know what types of men I date. But then I think that me being a loud fast talking American freaked him out a little more than he freaked me out so he drove me to where I needed to go and I gave him 50 cents…the ride should have been 5 fiji bucks (us$=2.50) anyway I lived…and yes I learned all kinds of lessons from that….but ten years ago I did the same thing in Brooklyn (now that was a funny night---red flags went up when we noticed that his car was missing the entire back window), sometimes it is hard to tell who is a taxi driver…..what else can I tell ya; but I promise to be more careful:)

No comments:

Post a Comment