Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fiji's Top 10s: The People and the Islands











So I have been to several beautiful islands in Fiji: Nacula, Naviti, Waya, Kuata, Mana and the main one that I am on right now, Viti Levu (where Nadi and Suva are). And I LOVE them!!!! See, I am a bit of an Island type of gal. Soft sand leading to turquoise waters, colorful fish, palm trees swaying in the breeze..ahh...this is where I feel the healthiest and the most comfortable. So the lack of hot showers, the huge spiders, the bats, the geckos, the falling coconuts (word on the street says it is a major cause of head injury and/or death on the islands) , the sea snakes,the pit toilets..."Whatever" I say because I am on an island. And here the islands are really special. Each island that I visited has a village (sometimes more than one) that is the host. It is their island and that to me is something very unique. The money I spent on these islands did not go to some already rich fat cat sitting on a huge yacht somewhere; the money went to the village. On every single island the villagers made me feel very welcome; everyone was so gracious and helpful. THANK YOU..or rather VINAKA!!! So here are some personal shout outs to some of the folks that touched my island life here in Fiji:
The Posse at Malawai 9: Diane - the Irish Diva who i will always remember fondly especially barking back at her dogs (when they acted up) "Who's the BOSS!", Paul- Diane's Fijian husband and a member of the British Army; I will remember him drinking kava with his buddies and laughing with him during Pineapple Express and various other movies:),You both really rock. Jimmy - for having a delightful demeanor and a monchi chi smile :) for possibly being a doctor and for just being so sweet and open. Aggie- for her awesome cooking skills, girl that was the best curry! and for being a genuinely caring soul with a great laugh and open mind...also she has great taste in music!!! and Thomas Oh Thomas, thank you for having a great girlfriend like Aggie :) for being a good cook and for singing Pavarotti...you are comedy baby, true comedy!!!...the three of you really made my stay so special!!!!and how could I forget the mother and daughter dogs Cleo and Finley...both pregnant by the same dude..or is it stud...anyway I will miss the franic barking and puppy dog eyes...and Cleo is a Kleptomaniac who ripped apart my earplugs and almost killed Bippi!. THANKYOU Couchsurfing hosts!!!!
Sami at Sunset Waya for singing so sweetly and for thinking I was family
Moses at Sunset Waya for caring so much about the guests having a good time
Lucy at White Sandy Beach for looking like my mother and being a great person to talk to and for inviting me to stay with your family!
Noah at Kuata for arranging everything and for showing me the island and kayaking the entire way to his village and dealing with my silly questions about the shadows deep in the ocean. What a treat to visit your village and meet your family!
Solo at Sunset Waya for being the best guide at just 17 years old!!!! but you scared me when you climbed to the edge of that cliff to get your dog! Anyway Solo has ther most infectious laugh, I wish I recorded it.
Ravi the Chef at Mana for preparing the best fish and really making sure that I was well fed...such a generous person you are!
And the other travelers I met that really made me smile: Kristy, Julien, Joakim,thanks for the Suva roadtrip and then some :) Melissa thanks for being over 30 :), Humberto, Julie, Caroline,thanks for being such good company on Mana and Freiderika thanks for the loan.....so many good chill folks!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment