Friday, April 10, 2009

Trampers Rest





























So After Picton I caught a bus to Nelson. While waiting for the bus I ran into Nitzan whom I had roomed with in Picton. We ended up in Nelson at different hostels but met up at the beach.

Coziness curing Disappointments :)
I was staying at a house hostel (Trampers Rest) which is basically a small hostel where the owner lives with is family. So it is crazy cozy...which I was happy about. Piri, and Alan the owners were so sweet and they also had a little baby that is the cutest. But anyway I also met a great elderly man who is an avid traveller. He is 76 years young. And was such a joy to talk to. He said the best way to travel is by scooter. He said that he, being a motorcycle rider in his day, used to scoff at scooters until he hit the open road on one and was in heaven. The birds, the insects the wind, you could feel them all, he told me. Anyway the cozy experience I had there did me a ton of good at that particular time, curing my only disappointment, and the pizza didn't hurt either :) I had the best pizza at Giannis Pizzaria. I chatted with Gianni and learned how this Italian man fell in love with Nelson and opened a Pizzaria, that is a vegetarian one at that. Anyway my time in Nelson was brief but I will be back.

Sweating on the bike and Renting a Car!!!
So I used the free bikes at the hostel and headed to the beach on my first day to meet up with Nitzan. And well the bike ride was rather intense. See I had had a pretty bad accident years ago on a bike and riding in traffic is just not something I get all thrilled about, but I did it and I felt good doing it. So after finally getting to the beach I saw Nitzan and then jumped into the Sea. While drying off we read each other's thoughts and said, lets rent a car. Which we did. We peeled out 2 mornings later with an extra person, Lachlan a funny young dude from the UK, and we headed south. Nitzan drove because driving on the left just freaked me out too much. I was in charge of entertainment of course. We had the car for a week and it was the best money spent. We named her Bimba.

No comments:

Post a Comment