The Cuss Out
Okay so, I forgot to mention that there was a brief spell on the road trip where ...okay, I unleashed the rare Kuzi (my nickname to some) fury. So in a small town, Te Anau, Nitzan and I walked into a hostel and we were met with well....just a rude ass woman. We wanted a room and she scoofed at us when we wanted to see the room first, in some cases we were able to see the rooms but this woman acted like it was just the craziest thing she ever heard, so well we reluctantly said okay and paid for the room, then we drove around the camp grounds to the room, when we saw the room; now we did not even open the door, it was a sliding glass door that we could easily see into....see, if she had indicated that then I would have kept a lid on the fury...we were unhappy with the room and drove back to her office (entire process took 2 min) and said that it was not what we wanted (long story) so she gave me crazy attitude which at first I went to my happy zen place with...but then she wanted to charge us a 10% fee because we did not cancel 24hrs in advance....now we had just talked to her about the room 5 minutes before for the first time...which is what i told her...but she really wanted some type of fee, so I just waited there at the desk (Nitzan was in the car) and looked at her like she was trippin all the while with a smile. She then said that I was rude, so I asked her, "Am I yelling or seemingly upset right now, aren't I being pleasant?" She didn't say anything, likely sensing that the actual"rude" Akua is not what she really wants to experience.So I gave her some chances and was sweet to her, she angrily gave me all our money back...which I genuinely said "thank you" for , to which she barked, "thank you for being a waste of my time!" so then I replied "thank you for being a ####*****" No it was not my most poetic response or even what I would have wanted to say upon greater reflection but well, we all have our moments. So that was my first real curse out while traveling. Hope there wont be many more. But after that we went to the place that I had wanted to stay at called Bob and Maxines (we had been unable to find it at first), a lovely and perfect homie hostel where we met English language students and fellow travelers, Stuart and Emma from Taiwan, and we all laughed about how difficult our names were and how easy their names were for us to say. Then we had a cozy night and watched Lord of the Rings which is a "must" while in NZ...at least that is what I am told. Also big shout out to Bob and Maxine, they have one of the coziest and cleanest places I have seen, I could have stayed a while.
So the adventures in Bimba ended in Christchurch...wow what a name, can't get more Christian than that huh...anyway I said goodbye to Nitzan and stayed in CC for about 5 days I think. It is a cute city. Nitzan and I both are city girls so we were happy to be in one (at least for a little while anyway) I was also really thrilled that my cousins friends lived in CC (coincidentally they also happened to be related to another friend of mine too) So I hung out with them a couple times which was really nice and as close to being around family and I could be. Malik is from NYC and Sue is from New Zealand but they both had lived in Seattle. So well, it was really special to spend time with them. Because really, though I am all about travel and solo travel, life on the road especially an unfamiliar road can get a bit lonely in the sense that one can really long for familiar expressions or just common understandings about various things, I donno...I find that when I am around people that share a similar background or even references, I realize just how special that can feel, I don't even realize that i am missing it until I am around it and that is what happened with Sue and Malik. Thanks ya'all
No comments:
Post a Comment