Monday, March 23, 2009

womadness

I hopped on 3 or 4 buses and made it to New Plymouth after about 12 hours. I have to say that the bus rides here are actually quite pleasant. No funky odors or people yelling at each other across the aisle. At least not yet...it is all about "good day" "cheers" "kia ora" really it is a nice experience and the music that pumps over the sound system...very softly that is...is a mix of oldies, blues, country and some soul. So I can not complain about my numerous bus trips. Anyway I went to a cute hostel that was supposedly near by the concert area..but really it was crazy far for my broken down ass to walk so I was a little disappointed but knew that that wouldn't last and really that is how i meet people and find some sweet moments...lemonade out of lemons :) and some sweet ass lemonade. So I go to the concert grounds and am amazed at the beauty of the park...and at the hugeness of it...wow, so I am taking a rest on a bench swatting at mozzies and I ask a young woman in a Womad shirt where I need to be to get my ticket. She asks me if I am staying at the Marae (they set up marae style accomodations in the park where the concert is, I was going to pay for them but decided on a hostel because the marae did not have a secure place to put my bag -all I own for about 8 months). Anyway she says "I have two mattresses if you want to crash on one" I say "sure" and there we have it. While following her to the ticket area she chats me up and turns out she is a nature guide on walks to learn about the plants that Maori use for various things. She is also related to deceased minister of the Torere marae (where the wedding was) small world. So she is really chill and while I am hanging out with her I run into Anja, a young woman from Germany that was at the beach hostel with me, who I told about Womad. So we all hang out the whole time and really have a great weekend. We saw amazing performers that I will try to upload video clips of...cross those fingers. And what is even stranger about running into people at Womad was that yes I ran into the first farm couple I worked with, Keith and Beth. And I was also recognized from the photo on my letter of introduction (Servas application letter that I email to prospective hosts) by a future host. I was in line for the 16 mini-donuts in a bag(great deal) and he was also in line and saw me and asked "are you in Servas?" I being the city girl I am, looked likely a bit freaked and said "what... how do you know that?" then it hit me, he must be someone I emailed. So it was great running into him and his wife...you will read about them later, they are the family that lives and works on the dairy farm. Anyway hope these Womad clips load.

No comments:

Post a Comment