Friday, March 27, 2009

Good Schools Good Folks Good Times

Okay so though this was over a week ago this is the first real time I have had to write something about Wanganui. I contacted the lovely couple you see through the Servas group (big shout out to them!!) Henry picked me up from the bus station on a break,(he is a principle of a school) and he took me to a school district meeting on the Fruit in Schools program they have. It is really great it gives tons of free fruit to the schools but it doesn't end there, it is a program that educates kids and adults on health, not just physical health but all things in the environment that can impact health. It is great and I felt so blessed to be included in the meeting, my health has been better since...seriously I ate 6 pieces of fruit just that one day and cut back on the vino too. So anyway I hung around their school for the day and that was just great. The kids were really sweet and from a variety of backgrounds, Fijian, Samoan, Maori, Cook Islander, Tongan, Hungarian, European. And what is also really cool is that at the pre-school each group has a little room that contains items that have to do with that particular culture, culture is talked about and incorporated so much into school life. It really is inspiring and from how I see it, it really leads to respect, pride, and organic multiculturalism. Anyway the school is low income but actually has a Dental Clinic for the kids...gotta love the health care here, though it ain't perfect it beats mine, my health coverage is called Hope and Denial:) So the school also has great facilities (hardwood floors!, a pool! big open play spaces, musical instruments) and the teacher to student ratio is really amazing.


So I met some lovely folks and when we came home we jumped in their pool then had a delicious dinner, not in the pool, after :). Both are amazing cooks who make their own yoghurt, museli, and bread. All my favorites!!! They have their own garden and also compost. Lots of composting here I gotta say it is really impressive, so a big ole shout out to my cousins in Washington who have been down with the composting thang for a while. Anyway the New Zealand dollar is rising so if any of you are going to buy land get a move on !! Missing ya all tons stay tuned for life on a Dairy farm and the smell of cow shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment