Now in October of 2009 I flew into Cairo Egypt I stayed about 2 weeks then took a mix of buses, taxis and my feet ($150 aprox from Cairo to Petra and all the spaces in between ) I met another traveling woman in Dahab Egypt, Rute who I traveled with for about 2 weeks to all these places, if it was not for her I doubt I would have gone to many of them, I would have chosen other countries, but you all likely know that I love surprises and to venture a bit off track so I am very thankful that we met and that I got to experience these places and make a good friend.
Jerusalem (5 days):
The longest bus over miles and miles of empty desert land.
Crowded, busy cobbled streets
The best Falafel!!!
Being called the "N" word and being made fun of because of my fro....strange I know, but true.
The nice rooftop views..
GUNS GUNS GUNS....so many guns, and in the hands of so many youth, holding an ice cream in one hand and a gun in the other... I will keep it simple...too many guns for me
Rute yelling about the hostel...Rute yelling :)
Bethlehem (1 day):
Long conversations with Palestinian women, the smiles, the intensity, the hope, the teary eyes.
The ID pass that Palestinians have to carry on them to work in Jerusalem
The Wall, The WALL, the wires, the murals on it, the tastiest honey sweets sold outside it, men removing their shoes walking through the security check point.....oh the checkpoints....
the church, the beauty, the calmness that came over me, exhaling
No hassles....so nice
Nazareth (2 days):
Sweetest home hostel EVER!!! (run by an x police chief) Loved it! And the Turkish Coffee was great!
Charming quiet town
Church murals.
Feeling peaceful
Amman:3 days
busy city, no stares, no rip offs, an honest taxi driver !, nice, woman owned hostel---loved it! the body scrub....never knew I could be so filthy :)
being the only women in the bar, gritty rooftops, wish I could have stayed longer.
Petra:2 days
Red earth, welcoming desert, beautiful ancient city....surreal but SO REAL, my first Camel ride,
local men standing, YES, STANDING on a horse while galloping through the ancient city. ...what a great site! LOVED IT.....being tempted to live in a cave with a very charming guide....oh if I was in my 20s maybe...haha
a car window showing the king with a shotgun pointed at you....wild
food poisoning while crossing the borders of Jordan to Israel to Egypt...all in one day...and yes it can be done overland, you do not need to take the ferry.
No comments:
Post a Comment