












So in early September of 2009 I flew from Darwin to Bali, which was not really in my plans but I met a fellow couchsurfer at Noodle's and he happened to be living in Bali and invited me to stay at his very large house for a few days if I wanted to go there. Why not? So for about $100 US I flew from Darwin to Bali; I stayed in Bali, Indonesia(couchsurfing, house-sitting, and family run small home-hotel) about one month. After Bali, I stayed about 5 days in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which cost about $40US from Bali; from KL I booked a flight to Cairo, Egypt for about $400US. On the way to Egypt I spent one day and night in Kuwait.
Bali:
The lush green rice paddies, rice paddies, rice paddies!!!!!!!
The sweet compact offerings to the deities.
Stray dogs nipping at my heels
plastic bags blowing in the wind over those innocent green rice paddies
dancing, dancing
women sitting side saddle on the back of mopeds looking so beautifully graceful.
banana pancakes
friends and community
the simple beauty of outside bathrooms
volunteer teaching a class of teens English and watching bats cruise into the open-air classroom.
Big lizards that I grew to love...they kill bugs
peaceful smiles and laughter
little monkey faces as I speed past them on the back of a scooter
Kuala Lumpur:
busy busy busy
GIANT malls with themes!!!!! One had a rain forest theme and another had a rollercoaster INSIDE!
The diversity!, I saw a woman in a black burqa standing next to a woman in tight tight pink shorts and a skimpy tank top....the list can go on of all the different types of people I saw all in one place....no one seemed overly concerned with the differences, it was very interesting.
The huge airport where I asked for a wheelchair (I had some hip pain). The woman who pushed the chair telling me her sad story about a mother-in-law hating her for not being able to have children.
The long and TV-less (mine was broken but it seemed like everyone that fell asleep had a working TV) flight to Kuwait.
Kuwait:
The stares, and also the familiarity
The welcoming dry, sandy air
The musty smell of the airport hotel room
so many women in black with beautiful eyes
The HECTIC airport...and is there a Q? I didn't see one
The bumpy plane ride
No comments:
Post a Comment