







Food glorious FOOD...so I am loving the food in Fiji, it can be a mix of Indian and Fijian, so finding veggie dishes for a veggie...(but I do eat fish) like me has been easy especially on the islands. Funny when I arrived to Fiji a young woman from Denmark warned me that the food was not really good on the outer islands...then Diane put it all in perspective by telling me..."she wanted pizza and hamburgers but you like all the healthy stuff so you will be fine" and YES Diane was right...shoot I even lost a bit of weight every time I left the mainland. Also there is nothing better than for me to be forced to only eat 3 meals a day...that does wonders for me especially when the meals are a mix of veggies and various fish...YUMMY!!! and when I have a beach I can jump onto after each meal....Oh I feel so healthy!!! ...oh how I will miss my roti and veggie curries that I get twice a week at a place called Chicken Bite....strange but true...it is on a dusty crowded strip in a nearby town called Namaka, a mix of people hustle by the colorful cake display in the big glass window. I will miss you Chicken Bite....they also serve pizza, Chinese food, burgers...and have lovely desserts, (maybe the girl from Denmark should have eaten there, she could have had anything)About twice a week after volunteering, I take the loud bus into the bus stop across the road, I dash past the cars that drive way too fast, I walk into the door and smile saying "Hello" to a range of Fijian faces; I wash my hands at the convenient sink provided in the main room then I sit down and watch a Indian soap opera playing on a TV above while gazing fondly at a silver platter of various small silver bowls containing delectable curries, dhal, veggies...oh yummy. As I write this my roomies (Jimmy and Aggie)are making dhal right now while Diane's dogs are doing the nasty outside...she is also a dog breeder. She breeds dobermans and she has two females...a male was just dropped off and well...it is like a soap opera because he has impregnated both the females...and they are mother and daughter...can we say scandal!!! anyway the food is amazing and what is even more amazing at this moment is that at Diane's there is no stove just a one little burner camping type of thing...in which Jimmy and Aggie will make a feast. I am a bit useless when it come to a one burner. 20 minutes later: :)Just ate the feast and it was better than at Chicken Bite!!!! Go Aggie, WOW!!! that dinner was amazing!She is gifted with a one burner!
No comments:
Post a Comment