Saturday, February 7, 2009

Off the farm

So here I sit in a cramped sweaty hostel in Rotorua watching a mosquito avoid me (mozzies they are called here, and it is avoiding me because I have bug spray on.) So let me begin by apologizing for no photos, I cant upload them now so I will hopefully tomorrow. Well my time with Keith and Beth was really special. They were both so much fun and could really make each other laugh...which is so nice to see a couple do:) We talked at length about politics, (they really like Obama) the banking fiasco, relationships, kids, education, honey, film, (Beth worked on the Shining). So while there I did a bunch of garden-intensive things, my hands feel stronger and my pants are a bit baggier too. I can't wait to wwoof again, hopefully I will have just as pleasant of an experience. I miss it there...let me see, things I learned or got reaquainted with: 60 year-old women kick ass, honeybees will bite the wings off another if it smells that it is from another hive (each hive has their own smell), grass is not really a good thing to have in a garden, some weeds are good for you, there is the most delectable plum called a Louisa, Keith makes his own Honey Meed liquor, there is a bug that sheds it's skin and the remaining skin looks just like the bug (freaked me out at first), . ...oh the list goes on. And I am now just a bit more at ease with bugs...except large flying roaches, but luckily I have not seen any here. At least I thought so until an hour ago when I got out of a mineral sulphur pool and picked up my towel to find a large bug wandering about, it was dark so I am telling myself that it was something else and not a roach..... But my first hour here was rather annoying with a man mistaking a random aimless smile for some kind of "come and bother me please" look. The dude was with his little son and still proceeded to annoy the shit out of me while I was online, yep he even touched my hair, well I gave him the evil stank eye and motioned for him to leave me the bleep alone. He quickly left. Uugh, funny how it bothered me so much, now if I had been in a city dealing with it daily I think I would have forgotten about it quicker, but no, I had been chillin in the country sleeping under daddy longlegs and being at peace with it. So yep here I am, I didn't go to the reggae show because it was just too much loot and really I just didn't have the energy. Instead I actually boarded a Duck tour, my only excuse is that I did it to escape the annoying vibe of the man, (and the loud ass hostel...people were screaming all over the place ...funny I used to be the loud one) anyway the duck tour big surprise was not all that (not like I expected much, but really I should have just taken a regular bus. But the scenery was great). So after it I went to sit at the edge of the lake and all these sweet little girls came up to me, just curious about me. They were really so fun and delightful. Kinda made me wanna run right out and adopt a 12 year old. ...but I wont, anyway they showed me around and I will be meeting up with them tomorrow for some more sight seeing. They are the perfect hosts, seeing that they have lived here all their 12 years, Oh we took really cute photos but alas, I will post them later. So now I am sleepy and will head upstairs to my shared female dorm room and shove earplugs in, because really I think I am by far the elder of the estate :P

No comments:

Post a Comment