Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kia Ora - hello

After my last minute shoving of various items into by 22 inch (airplane carry on appropriate luggage) and then more items, like my homemade first aid kit and 2 headlamps into another little backpack(not really that little at all) ; my good ole friend (22 years of friendship!! thanks girl) Sunghi drove me to the airport. Sadly I was given a middle seat for a 12 hour flight. I had visions of myself drooling either on the nice older man on one side of me or the teenage boy on the other.. But in reality I watched 4 movies and slept just a wee bit. And you know I really liked Mama Mia, I don't care what the critics say. Meryl Streep rocks!So after a 12 hour plane ride I hoped a shuttle to my hostel which didn't open for another 2 hours. But I managed to get in and chill out till my room opened up. I really was fiending for a shower. And by the way this hostel is crazy clean, there is even dissinfectant over the toilets. But somehow my ocd clean joy was overcome by sudden pain as I reached into my shower bag and sliced a portion of the fingerprint section of my thumb off. I began to bleed ...alot but being the MacGyverish dame I am, I had my firstaid kit and covered the cut with antibiotic, wrapped my thumb in gauze...had to use nailclippers to cut it though (and yes I considered briefly giving myself stitches...hee hee just kidding...or am I). So within 3 hours of touching down I was an injured person....and though it was throbbing I still went out to the harbor and had geloto to make it all better:) but I soon returned took some advil and slept for 7 hours. After waking up I hung out with some people from the hostel and after a glass of white wine felt even mo better. The Lantana Hostel in Parnell Auckland is one of the friendliest places I have ever stayed at, and I love that we all have to remove our shoes before entering...so presently, I have stayed for 2 nights and will soon be picked up by a farmer from a nearby community to work on his farm in exchange for room and board. No I know nothing of farming, I am a city girl that has even managed to kill cactus (not intentionally), but I joined WWOOF (willing workers on organic farms) and SERVAS, two groups that present the chance to meet and stay with locale families. I called them yesturday to tell them about the thumb and that I may not be of much help, but they couldn't care less, they even mentioned that we may go sailing on the yatch. After I stay in this community (Timatanga) then I head out to Rotorua for a few days to attend a reggae show and to check out the hot natural baths, then off to another farm that is supossed to be centered around healing. But then again who knows how things will unfold. Yesturday I had a day of swimming and hikes on Waiheke Island. I am beyond sore but feel good and the salt water seemed to heal my cut a bit. I wish I could upload some photos but this computer is ancient, I think I played pong on it in 5th grade. Hope you are all well.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad you made it, despite the injury. I miss you already. I'm so excited for your journey, though. --Megan

    ReplyDelete